Chocolate, caramel and sea salt, a perfect combination for a Christmas cookie. Each year I make copious quantities of Christmas cookies to give to friends and family. I love sharing my creations celebrating the true meaning of the season. My cookie gift list grows each year with requests from friends of friends who have tasted my cookies. Throughout the year I search for interesting containers that can be used by the recipients after all the cookies are gone.
This cookie has become one of my family’s favorite since they all love chocolate and caramel dusted with sea salt then drizzled with chocolate glaze!
1 cup flour
Generous 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
1/2 package caramels, unwrapped
2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus about 1/2 tsp. for sprinkling
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar
1 teaspoon shortening
1. Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a bowl. In another bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
2. Scoop dough into rounded 1-tsp. portions and roll into balls, then roll balls in sparkling or powdered sugar to coat. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With the end of a thick-handled wooden spoon, gently press an indentation into the center of each cookie. Bake until cookies is just set, about 10 minutes. (The depressions tend to fill in a bit as they bake, so as soon as they’re out of the oven, give them another press with the spoon if necessary.) Slide parchment with cookies onto cooling racks and let cool.
3. Make the caramel: Place caramels in a small heavy saucepan with the cream. Heat to boiling lower heat stirring until caramels are melted.
4. Assemble cookies: Spoon about 1/4 tsp. caramel into each cookie, then sprinkle with a few grains of sea salt.
5. Microwave chocolate and shortening on high for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Drizzle over cookies.