Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Crean Cheese Frosting
Peppermint reminds me of old fashioned Christmases when I would find a big candy cane in my stocking which I would savor for weeks! I love the combination of chocolate, cream cheese and peppermint in this cake. As I take a bite the cool peppermint cream cheese frosting combines with the chocolate cake for an irresistible tempting dessert that will be the star of any holiday meal.
. 2 cups sugar
. 2 cups all-purpose flour
. ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
. 1 teaspoon baking powder
. 1 teaspoon baking soda
. 1 cup buttermilk
. ½ cup of vegetable oil
. 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
. 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
. 1 cup hot water
. Peppermint Frosting (recipe follows)
. Garnish: Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses and crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, and spray again.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Form a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Add hot water, whisking to combine. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, and let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
5. Spread Peppermint Frosting between layers and on top and sides of the cake. Decorate with kisses and crushed candy cane. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with sugared mint leaves, sparkling sugar, and candy canes, if desired. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Cream Cheese Buttercream
1 8-oz pkg. cream cheese softened
1 cup butter, softened
2 16-oz pkg. powdered sugar
2 tablespoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium
speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla,
peppermint, and salt, and beat until smooth. Increase speed to
medium-high, and beat until light and fluffy.