Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. If you love chocolate and salted caramel this cake is for you. My inspiration for this outrageous chocolate cake was chocolate salted caramel candy. I have to admit I seemed to get a little carried away. Warning this cake is very rich so eat accordingly! Truly a show stopping cake worth a few calories.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, Ghiradelli Chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate morsels, Ghiradelli Chocolate
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels, Ghiradelli Chocolate
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, Ghiradelli Chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- WHITE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, Ghiradelli Ghiradelli
- 3 tablespoon cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to 325°. Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. Beat 1 1/2 cups butter in a medium bowl at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yolk disappears. Combine 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and next 2 ingredients. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition. Fold bittersweet chips into batter. Pour 1/2 batter into a well-greased (with shortening) and floured 12-cup Bundt pan. Place 1/4 cup semisweet chips on batter. Spoon caramel sauce over chips. Top with remaining semisweet chips. Gently pour remaining batter in pan. Sharply tap pan on counter to remove air bubbles.
2. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.
3. Prepare Chocolate Glaze: Combine semisweet chocolate morsels, 3 Tbsp. butter, and 1 Tbsp. corn syrup in a microwave-safe glass bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until morsels begin to melt, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
4. Prepare White Chocolate Glaze: Melt chocolate and cream in double boiler. Let cool slightly. Whisk in powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over cake.
5. Pour caramel sauce over cake, sprinkle with sea salt then nuts.