Christmas morning is a special time in our home where we all gather around the tree to open gifts while remembering all our Christmas pasts. I want to be with my family celebrating not having to prepare breakfast. Which is why I am a big fan of make-ahead breakfast casseroles to pop into the oven as I join my family under the tree. Cheese Grits and Sausage so tasty, easy to make and get ready the night before refrigerating until the next morning.
Cheese Grits and Sausage Casserole
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked grits
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound chicken sausage links
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Mix in 1/2 the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until evenly browned. Drain and slice into 1-inch slices. Mix into the grits. Beat together the eggs and milk in a bowl, then mix into the grits.
- Pour the grits mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dot with remaining butter, and top with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.